Standard 4.a Issues of Assessments for ELLs

NYSESLATAnalysis-Final

Artifact 4.A. “Issues of Assessment for ELLs,” is from my ESC 761, Teaching English as a Second Language to Adolescents and Adults class that I took at Lehman College. This particular assignment asked that students write an analysis about the NYSESLAT exam. The aim of this assignment was for us to analyze if this particular  assessment was an accurate assessment of the necessary skills for academic success, of ELLs.” Additionally, based off of our responses, we had to write if the NYSESLAT exam is an adequate assessment of ELL’s ability to do well in mainstream content classes at the secondary level.

This artifact is pertinent to the required Standard, 4.A., where candidates had to demonstrate understanding of assessment issues as they affect ELLs. In this case, I got a chance to analyze the biases, testing, language proficiency, and accommodations in formal testing situations for ELLs. This chosen artifact demonstrates that I have met the required standard because it demonstrate my understanding of assessment issues as they affect ELLs.

The artifact contributed to my professional understanding by giving me a first-hand look at the issues, accountability, accommodation, and biases of assessments for ELLs. For example, all ENL students are required to take the NYSESLAT where they are tested on the four modalities of language (reading, listening, speaking, and writing). While this is pertinent to language acquisition, in terms of expressing one’s thoughts, making coherent sentences, and being able to use facts and ideas to express one’s self,  I do not believe that it thoroughly assess the students command of English, such as English rules, and grammar. This impacted my own thinking and understanding that not only should I teach so that the students can acquire the language, but to teach so that the students can do well on these exams.

Yes, completing this artifact impacted students and students learning because after completing an analysis of the NYSESLAT artifact I was able to differentiate how I teach to the NYSESLAT, and how I teach for the ELA state exam.