Standard 3.c Using Resources Effectively in ESL and Content Instruction

Lesson and Journal #2

Standard 3.C is from my ESC 725, Teaching English Grammar class that I took at Lehman last Fall. The purpose of this assignment was for us to tutor grammar to a group of ESL students. The first step to carrying out this assignment was to teach students how to create basic sentences. In order to do this, I created hands-on activities where students created simple sentences using subject and predicate.

The part of the standard that the artifact addresses is creating resources effectively in ESL and content instruction that are challenging, interesting, motivating, linguistically accessible and age appropriate, and supportive of student learning.” In that, I created hands-on activities, adapted worksheets, and provided students with resources that aided in their understanding of the lesson.  In the end, students had to use what they learned to edit their peers essay.

This project focuses on improving the linguistic aspects of students where grammar is concerned in order to improve speaking, reading, listening, and writing.  The artifact relates to the standard in that, it was linguistically appropriate, and supportive of student learning. This artifact demonstrates that I have met the standard by highlighting how I have created and adapted a wide range of linguistic material as they pertain to grammar in order to help the students create basic sentences.

The artifact contributes to my professional understanding, skills, and disposition by highlighting the importance of basic grammar instruction for ENL students. I am a firm believer of teaching grammar instruction in order to aid in L2 acquisition. With basic grammar foundation students will be able to not only acquire the ability to speak and read the language, but it will also aid in their writing and listening acquisition.

Yes, this artifact aided in student learning to an extent. Most of the students have not explicitly learned grammar by itself, in which, it was hard for the students to comprehend at first. This activity can be implemented in my class whenever I am teaching writing or when we are doing peer edits.